Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ocean Beach, San Diego, California 9am in January..

I don't mean to brag but this is the best action shot I have ever taken.
This inspires me because I am becoming more and more convinced that for me to
be a good photographer I need to take lots of pictures and hope for the best.
This photo proves that even a fat bald guy with a digital camera can get lucky once in awhile.


The thing about mornings at Ocean Beach is that the paint looks a little more peeled,
the imperfections are a little more glaring, and it's as if the glamm, has slipped just a little.



The homeless man in the bathroom at the coffee shop washing his pits in the sink makes
it a little more difficult to believe in the voice of the mighty and powerful OZ, and it makes you
a little more apt to look behind the green curtain to see what's really going on.


It's not less beautiful, but more mature and seasoned, kind of like an
exotic dancer minus the pole and neon, 12 hours later in her trailer house
with a Salem, a tattered terry cloth robe, a chipped cup of Sanka.


The bright colors and neon are still there but they pale a little with the new morning sun.


I still love it and I love California, for me it proves the magic is real,
because at 330 in the afternoon, when this whore is painted up, and the bikinis, wet suits,
guitar players, cigarette bumms, and sun dresses are out in force it's 100% paradise.

(Please take a moment to click the photos so you can see them in full size.)

2 comments:

Mark Richards said...

I like the pictures a lot. Very nice action pic of the surfer. It doesn't look like Mission Beach changes that much. Looks much the same as when I was there a couple of years ago and close to what it looked like when I went to school there 30 years ago.
I am getting the photo itch and you are one of the reasons why. I posted a picture of the sunset with my phone and mentioned that I am thinking of buy a new camera. If I do, you are partly to blame. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I'm glad your ejoying it and if you have a blog or plan to build one let me know and I'd be very happy to link to it.